Thursday, November 19, 2009

Project Runway Finale (Part II) Episode 14

After 14 weeks of a lackluster season and zero WOWage, Project Runway has chosen a new winner! But you’ll have to continue reading to find out who wins and how…
Last week we left off with Carol Hannah feeling sickly and her head in the toilet, and I'm feeling really bad for her, if not slightly nauseated myself. Nothing like little sleep and a looming deadline to encourage the flu. I never thought I’d say this but I’m happy Christopher is back in the workroom to lend CH a comforting shoulder. Back in the same workroom there’s some dilly-dally time spent on hair and makeup, and then it’s on to model fittings. So far the collections are taking shape with some careful editing and stern direction from Tim. Althea’s pieces are all about form and fit, Irina’s vision combines intricately sewn details, and it's all about Carol Hannah’s super cute pouf skirt which looks divine on her model. It’s a 'make it work' moment and the designers are doing just that...

It’s 3.15am the next day (my eyes hurt thinking about it) and Fashion Week has finally arrived. The designers take a nervous and excited tour of the runway in the main tent in Bryant Park where they will be showing, and later on backstage Tim gets a little frantic waiting for models to get into their looks. Tim frantic? I can scarcely believe it myself. And now he’s yelling and looking at tad too concerned. Tim you’re scaring me! A few minutes later it’s runway time and Heidi does the traditional honors of introducing the designers and judges, and wait... what in the world is she wearing? An ill-fitting neon pink silk suit that's making me queasy and a hair bun that’s squashing her brains. One word: YikesSo I've decided to write my review of each designer’s runway collections in a very unedited stream of consciousness sort of way. Why? Because my hand hurts from typing...
Althea: sci-fi smudgy makeup, lots of sportswear bits and pieces, soft jackets, prominent leather, her signature mini parachute pants, she’s good at the trendy look, love the models’ hairstyles. Hate that grey patterned sweater which looks like it was cut off at the shoulders and reattached with two skinny straps. Some bunching satin dresses, a bland 13th look, and this feels underwhelming. Some good pieces but I’m not feeling wow. Thank goodness Althea removed her Uggs for her finale bow.
Carol Hannah: she’s too cute. Stunning opening dress of draped chiffon and velvet, loove that tied-waist draped pouf skirt, some more great draping, a standout black organza cocktail dress. collection really represents her as a designer. Love the “upside down” tulle dress just not the satin halter top it’s attached to. Two redhead models on the runway!! Good sense of color palette, lots of movement, ruffles. I like this. The 13th look of blue gracian dress is very sleek and flows beautifully.
Irina: Very dark collection, much like NY can be, but the details are so impressive. So well tailored, and excellent accessory details. Love the sharp riding hats. lots of black skinny pants, fabric layering, strong silhouettes. This reminds me of a Rick Owens line. very sexy gladiator. love the final gown, stunning. This collection is sharp and focused, and kicks butt!
It’s Judging time, and I want to quickly mention how I really missed Michael and Nina all season, and I feel really nostalgic watching them deliberate. Reminds me of seasons past. Ok, I’ve collected myself. Famous fashion critic Suzy Menkes (finally a good judging choice Lifetime) joins the panel, and I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that her hair is standing very tall, and all I’m thinking is there’s something about Mary.
Heidi congratulates the three finalists on their shows, but her pink suit still irks me. Please change! On to the final collections, Michael thinks Irina’s “warrior woman” look is nothing new, but Suzy found her collection polished and finished, and Nina loved the casual look of the t-shirts. The hats, bags, the pleating, all hand-made. Heidi asks why all black? Irina envisioned it that way, it’s quite simple. Though the color gets very little editorial as Nina reminded, it’s a strong collection with excellent showmanship. Up next, Nina loves Carol Hannah’s perfectly draped first look, and so did I. She also points out how well she works with hard fabrics. Suzy noticed the “pyramid” shaped tulle dress, but the judges feel the collection as a whole is not cohesive, and they're probably right. Next up is Althea and Michael loves the sportswear aspect of her collection (of course he does Mr. Sportswear!), especially those beige colored parachute-y pants. Suzy sees some great knitwear, but the last three pieces were off accord to Nina. Maybe too many notes in one show….

So Who is the winner of Project Runway?............................

It’s Irina of course.Congratulations! (I sound like Heidi) Your collection was fierce, sophisticated and fashionably commercial, complicated, sexy, and it told a complete story. And you know the judges always love a good story…..

Well so long for now until the next season of Project Runway!
In the meantime, be stylish and stay redhead....
xoxo RedPoppy

No comments:

Post a Comment